By Sue Speakman, Dec 7 2014 08:54AM
The band enjoyed a trip to Perth in Scotland last weekend to compete in the Scottish Open Championships. The band had prepared well under the direction of Huw Thomas on the difficult tespiece Cantata by Andrew Duncan. On the day the soloists played outstanding and the remarks from the judges were very complimentary.
'a solid performance of a challenging work'
'thankyou for an enjoyable show'
'a very well directed performance'
'this is a band of high intelligence'
'excellent soprano playing'
'some sizzling playing from you all'
'some most eloquent solo playing all round'
The band were placed 8th, 9th and 13th by the judges with an overall 10th position out of a strong field of 16.
Result from 4 Bars Rest
Scottish Open Championship:
Test Piece: Cantata for Brass Band and Percussion (Andrew Duncan)
Adjudicators: Tom Davoren, Professor John Miller, Andrew Duncan
Davoren/Miller*/Duncan = Total
1. Whitburn (Michael Fowles): 1/1/1 = 3
2. Co-operative Funeralcare (Allan Ramsay): 2/3/2 = 7
3. Rothwell Temperance (David Roberts): 3/2/4 = 9
4. Kirkintilloch (Raymond Tennant): 4/5/5 = 14
5. Reg Vardy (John Roberts): 7/7/3 = 17
6. Wingates (Paul Andrews): 6/10/6 = 22
7. NASUWT Riverside (Ray Farr): 10/4/8 = 22
8. Marsden Silver (Glyn Williams): 5/6/15 = 26
9. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass (Charles Keenan): 11/8/9 = 28
10. Blackburn & Darwen (Huw Thomas): 8/9/13 = 30
11. Yorkshire Imperial DUT (Stig Maersk): 9/12/12 = 33
12. Fishburn (Joseph Cook): 12/13/11 = 36
13. Damellington (Archie Hutchison): 14/15/7 = 36
14. Shepherd Building Group (Richard Wilton): 13/14/10 = 37
15. Rainford (Gareth Brindle): 15/11/14 = 40
16. Johnstone Silver (Martyn Ramsay): 16/16/16 = 48